Scholarship assistance is available for a select number of music majors who desire an opportunity for:
- intensive individual study
- a variety of performing opportunities
- exposure to the rich cultural setting at the School of the Arts, as well as the Charleston Symphony Orchestra, Spoleto Festival USA, Piccolo Spoleto, and many other music, theatre, and dance companies.
Scholarship awards are based on performance ability and potential and are normally renewable provided satisfactory academic and musical progress is demonstrated. To arrange an audition, submit the application form and also send two letters of recommendation to the Department of Music. You will be contacted to confirm a definite audition time on your designated audition date or at a mutually convenient time. Following auditions, selected students are recommended by the faculty for a scholarship.
- Saturday, January 23, 2016
- Friday, January 29, 2016
- Saturday, January 30, 2016
- Sunday, January 31, 2016
- Contact Robert Lewis
- Piano: Two contrasting pieces (memorization is not required)
- Voice: Two contrasting pieces, one in a foreign language
- All scales and arpeggios, 3 octaves.
- Two contrasting works from the standard solo repertoire that best represent the candidate's technique and musicianship.
- A solo work by Bach, a movement from a concerto, or a short virtuosic piece are recommended.
- Classical Guitar: Two contrasting pieces from memory
- Other instruments: Two contrasting pieces (memorization is not required)
- Jazz: Play melody and improvise over chord changes on two contrasting jazz standards
- Jazz Percussion:
- 13 Essential PAS rudiments
- Two prepared pieces on snare drum
- Sight-reading on snare drum
- Drumset applicant will prepare and provide songs for this section of the audition
*Please see complete list for jazz percussion.